I have been natural since 2013(Feb.). I’ve big chopped twice since then!! The first time I literally cried. I DID NOT want to cut my BROKE OFF and DAMAGED permed hair. I was so use to it and I had never ever, ever had short hair before. I did not have hair all down my back, Hell I barley had neck length lol! There was no hope for my “po lil” hair. I transitioned for 3 months then decided one night that I wanted “it” gone, I actually woke up out my sleep (1am-2am) and was like “I cant do it no more”. My perm hair would tangle so badly on wash days. I cut one little section, cried, got over it, then proceeded he next morning with my big chop!!! The second time wasn’t bad at all because by then (July 2016) I already knew the benefits of starting over with no hesitation. I big chopped because I had a lot of heat and color damage, its no point in holding on to damaged hair. BELOW are ways (that worked for me)to combat “THE STRUGGLE” while maintaining and growing your beautiful natural hair!
1. DRINK LOTS OF WATER
2. EAT HEALTHY
3. TAKE AVITAMIN (I received over 200 packs of youth supplement vitamins from my grand mother, I don’t know if it were other healthy actions that I was taking or if these really helped, but it seemed like it.)
4. CO-WASH WEEKLY
5. SEAL HAIR USING THE L.O.C MEATHOD ONCE OR TWICE A DAY!( LEAVE-IN, OIL, CREAM)
6. DEEP CONDITION MONHLY ( I MADE MY OWN, WHICH WAS A PROTEIN TREATMENT, BY USING EGG, HONEY, MAYO, OLIVE OIL, AND A THICK CONDITIONER-I USED PANTENE CO-WASH)
7. GREEN HOUSE EFFECT MEATHON 3 DAYS A WEEK
8. PROTECTIVE STYLES OF CHOICE
9. DETANGLING WITH FINGERS OR WIDE TOOTH COMB
10. CLIP ENDS IF NEEDED
11. NO TIGHT/PULING STYLES
12. NO HEAT/MINIMAL HEAT
13. NO DYES
These are the steps that I took to make my journey a little easier. I know it sounds like a lot, but trust me it works!!! Let me know if you would like to know what protective styles and products I usually use!